Rimer

An open forum to discuss all aspects of modeling the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad.
West End

Rimer

Postby West End » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:03 pm

A couple of images from Rimer as the layout progresses.
photo (57) (800x600).jpg
The nearly completed station at Rimer. The view is looking west towards Main street and the Ottawa River.
photo (57) (800x600).jpg (203.98 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
Attachments
photo (54) (800x600).jpg
A paper mock up of the farm equity elevator in Rimer gives a little life to the layout in the area.
photo (54) (800x600).jpg (230.37 KiB) Viewed 2295 times

acynut

Re: Rimer

Postby acynut » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi, I was reading the forum and Rimer jumped out at me. According to an AC&Y Track Chart National Lime & Stone had a smaller operation at Rimer (than the one at Carey). It was a two track loading operation with room for five cars north of the loader on each track (that info comes from a 1959 Employee Timetable) on the north side of the AC&Y track. So I hope you left room for this on your layout!

West End

Postby West End » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:18 pm

I don't have room for the entire operation but I modeled what I could of the National Operation at Rimer.

acynut

Postby acynut » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:03 pm

Glad to see you have the NL&S modeled (your pictures didn't show this). How familiar are you with the Rimer area? Do you have a map of the area? I plan to model the NL&S facility in N scale but I have no pictures of the area or loading operation. In the room I have to use I thought modeling the smaller NL&S facility at Rimer would be a good idea.
See ya later
Michael

West End

Postby West End » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:16 pm

I do have a map of Rimer and I have walked everything that is accessible without going on NL&S property. I didn't have room to model the crusher tracks in their entirety so what I did was have one track that holds 2 cars (enough for my scaled down needs) plus a little room. The plan is build the loader as a flat against the backdrop with the end of a hopper attached to the backdrop under the loader. The coupler on the car end will be glued open so cars set into the siding won't actually be attached. This will give the look of more cars on a much longer track. The "pit" will be photos of the pit at Carey to give the illusion of a big hole in the ground.

I have a friend who grew up in Columbus Grove who's mother worked at the Rimer quarry. She remembers the railroad and doing billing for outbound cars but doesn't remember what the loader looked like. My guess is it looked like the ones at Carey, maybe a little smaller.

Return to “AC&Y Modeling”