Layout planning

An open forum to discuss all aspects of modeling the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad.
Tom Davidson

Layout planning

Postby Tom Davidson » Thu May 23, 2013 8:45 pm

A recent posting mentioned modeling the Big 4 at New London/Hiles, with specific reference to the problem of how to gracefully let the Big 4 leave the scene at the West (South) end. When Bob Lucas confronted this problem, I suggested that the Big 4 is simply a double track mainline, not much different from the double track B&O mainline which crosses the AC&Y at Greenwich. So it wouldn't look out of place for the Big 4 to "become" B&O when it gets to Greenwich, and cross the AC&Y just as the actual B&O did. Bob is very happy with this arrangement. Since the AC&Y is his primary focus, the B&O and Big 4 are secondary anyway, and the arrangement does not call attention to itself. If this arrangement doesn't ring true to you, then it would be possible to build on a wider shelf and put the actual B&O/Big 4 diamond in the foreground, with a "horn" track connecting them to allow your Big 4 local to escape behind the backdrop via the B&O. In this case, the BIG 4 mainline would continue to a dropoff at the edge of the table. I suggest that this part of the Big 4 have no power to the rails and all switches be permanently set against that route. Yes, these are compromises, but this is a hobby of compromises. The trick is to minimize the compromises and keep them as subtle as you can.

Luke
Forum Moderator

Re: Layout planning

Postby Luke » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:48 am

As Tom mentions, I wanted to feature Hiles / New London in my layout, but faced the issue with the prototype track arrangement further west. Those familiar with the area will recall that the AC&Y crossed the double track mainline of Big Four-NYC at Hiles, circumnavigated New London and a few miles west, crossed the B&Q double track main before heading west to Carey. The diagram and photos show the solution that Tom suggested and which will be incorporated in the layout. Effectively, I am treating the double track mainlines of both the NYC and B&O as "one-in-the-same" which provides incredible modeling and operating potential. As there was no interchange with the B&O at Greenwich (where AC&Y crossed the B&O), I'll not include a connection (An interchange with the B&O was actually a few miles further west at Plymouth). As you can see in the photos, I do have a nice connection matching the prototype at Hiles. This was one of several locations where stock traffic off the AC&Y was forwarded to Eastern meat packers, It also was very common for all three roads to detour trains in this area over one another. Yes, NYC Niagaras did run on the AC&Y and FM's on both the B&O and NYC.
Attachments
P1030203 - Copy.JPG
Hiles with Bigelow Tile in background
P1030203 - Copy.JPG (225.21 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Picture 004 - Copy.jpg
View of parallel Big Four / AC&Y at New London
Picture 004 - Copy.jpg (260.53 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
Layout Plan 0002 - Copy.jpg
Preliminary Layout Drawing - New London to Carey
Layout Plan 0002 - Copy.jpg (80.57 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
scan0005 - Copy.jpg
View showing Hiles tower where AC&Y crossed the Big Four
scan0005 - Copy.jpg (213.67 KiB) Viewed 2290 times
Greenwich  looking East - Bill Moore photo - 4-7-71 - Copy.jpg
view of AC&Y crossing the B&O at Greenwich
Greenwich looking East - Bill Moore photo - 4-7-71 - Copy.jpg (309.11 KiB) Viewed 2290 times

RRFoose

Re: Layout planning

Postby RRFoose » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:48 pm

Any chance you have a more final version of your track plan that you would be willing to share with us?

Return to “AC&Y Modeling”