AC&Y 505 For Sale

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the AC&Y's Diesel Locomotives.
Anderphoto

AC&Y 505 For Sale

Postby Anderphoto » Sat May 11, 2013 12:56 pm

AC&Y 505, the FM H-20-44 which wound up at the transportation museum in Galveston, Texas, is for sale. It was damaged by salt water from Hurricane Ike a few years ago, so is inoperable, but it would be great if someone could buy it and return it to AC&Y territory for a static exhibit. http://www.sterlingrail.com/classifieds/classified.php?id=4597

Peacock
Site Admin

Re: AC&Y 505 For Sale

Postby Peacock » Wed May 22, 2013 10:04 pm

The listing has a make offer tab... I doubt they would take $1.00. My luck they would, and it would cost me a fortune to transport it to Akron. :o Seriously though, it would be great to get her back to the Akron vicinity.

DanO

Re: AC&Y 505 For Sale

Postby DanO » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:32 pm

I won't say getting it back to you guys would be easy, but it is doable.

The first requirement is to get 505 up to FRA standards for being towed. We're talking air brake system, wheels, safety appliances (grabs, steps, etc). If you can't do that, you've lost the game already. The key would get a "Federal Inspector", which is a qualified railroad employee, usually a machinist from a locomotive shop.

Then approaching NS would be the next logical step as AC&Y was part of the N&W '64 merger. Since they did those heritage units and operate steam, you know they have an appreciation for railroad heritage. NS could take it from St. Louis or KC MO to Bellevue. The W&LE probably could do you guys a solid by hauling it from there to Akron. Now what about Galveston to St. L or KC MO? Wasn't/isn't it painted for UP? Uncle Pete, like NS, has a heritage fleet and runs steam (is restoring the BB), and therefore also sees the PR value in such things.

Still, to get the wheels moving (literally and figuratively), you need a bit more juice. If you could the Beacon Journal interested in your quest, that would certainly help. Maybe the NKPTHS would also help out.

Like I said, it wouldn't be easy, but things like like this have been successfully done.

Oh. Did I mention finding a place to display it?

Return to “AC&Y Diesel Roster”