Mount Blanchard depot

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the AC&Y's Structures and Facilities.
mattwoods

Mount Blanchard depot

Postby mattwoods » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:39 pm

I am currently scatchbuilding the Mt. Blanchard depot, and am working off from basically one photo. Would anyone have any additional photos of this depot, along with information about other trackside industries or structures in Mt. Blanchard? I would greatly appreciate any information anyone might have.

West End

Re: Mount Blanchard depot

Postby West End » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:47 am

Matt

There was a track for Fosters Lumber, The Farm Bureau, and a team track. I can upload a map tonight.

Luke
Forum Moderator

Postby Luke » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:39 pm

Matt, Here is a photo gleaned from Mark Camp's book "Railroad Depots of West Central Ohio". Mark was a guest speaker at a recent AC&Y HS Annual Meeting. The photo show a partial view of the Mount Blanchard Elevator. I may have additional photos and the Society Archive would have track arrangement drawings. REL
Attachments
Mt. Blachard Depot.jpg
Mt. Blachard Depot.jpg (248.68 KiB) Viewed 5278 times

mattwoods

Postby mattwoods » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Chris, thanks for the information on Mt. Blanchard. It certainly sounds like a modelgenic location. I like small rural towns, with two or three industries and a depot. Any additional information would certainly be appreciated. I can tell that I have made my depot too long. What I have done so far looks good, but another picture I found indicated that I should have gone shorter.

mattwoods

Postby mattwoods » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:00 pm

Bob, thanks for the picture. That is the one that I was working from, but I discovered by looking at another photo, that I over estimated the length. I made mine 40 feet, and it's probably no more than 30 feet. I'll just have to make a more acturate version. I chose to model this, because it didn't have a bay window, which makes things much easier. Anything else you might have, would certainly be appreciated.

Luke
Forum Moderator

Postby Luke » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Matt,
Mt. Blanchard was a scheduled (mixed train) stop 45.1 miles from Delphos. According to Archive records, the Mt. Blanchard depot, built 1898, was considered a "Type III" wood frame design and was 16' wide X 28' long X 16' high. It was built with a rolled (tar) paper roof, but likely was upgraded to composition shingles at some point. It was painted both gray with olive trim and white with green trim. The train order signal was installed in 1926. Hope this helps! REL

Peacock
Site Admin

Postby Peacock » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:00 pm

Here are several pictures...
The red transparent outline is the location of the PA&W/LE&W/NO/AC&Y Depot
AerialMTBlanchard.jpg
AerialMTBlanchard.jpg (390 KiB) Viewed 5267 times

Sometime in the 1970's
MTBlanchard1970s.jpg
MTBlanchard1970s.jpg (64.53 KiB) Viewed 5267 times

And here is the 1918 ICC Valuation picture of Northern Ohio Railway
MTBlanchard1918.jpg
MTBlanchard1918.jpg (139.08 KiB) Viewed 5267 times

mattwoods

Postby mattwoods » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:34 pm

Robert and Bob, thanks for all the great information. I think I probably have enough to go by to make a decent model. I'm mad at myself for not getting a better idea of the dimensions before I started. Photos can be deceptive based on the angle they are taken from. I would like to get some pictures of the elevator in Mt. Blanchard also. If anyone has anything I would be indebted. I think peoples response to my request for information, really illustrates the spirit of our organization, and the knowledge of the membership. I think the forum is proving to be a great resource and tool. There are just so many of these great west end towns that have these modelgenic elements. At this point I'm having a hard time determing which one I really want to model. I may have to model all of them. Thanks again Robert for making these dialogues possible.

JGS1434

Postby JGS1434 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Matt,

Here's a link to a color photograph of the Mt Blanchard depot. This is from George Elwood's great Fallen Flags site.

http://gelwood.railfan.net/acy/acy-mbdep-gea.jpg

Regards JGS

mattwoods

Postby mattwoods » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:14 pm

RHS, thanks for the photo link. It is a very useful picture and will be an aid to my modeling. I am largely done with my model, and will post some photos soon. Thanks for contibuting to my modeling efforts. Seeing it in color also is a plus.

Return to “AC&Y Structures & Facilities”