Sunday Photo Shoot 7/29/12

An open forum to discuss all aspects of modeling the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad.
mattwoods

Sunday Photo Shoot 7/29/12

Postby mattwoods » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:39 pm

Greetings fellow AC&Y modellers:

After an off week last week, we're going to try this photo shoot and modelling showcase once again. Here is my version of the Arlington depot and some photos of some track work that I have done. I guess the next step is individual tie plates. How many of you are headed to the NMRA Convention?

Matt Woods

iphone pictures 250.jpg
iphone pictures 250.jpg (185.61 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

iphone pictures 251.jpg
iphone pictures 251.jpg (239.57 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

iphone pictures 253.jpg
iphone pictures 253.jpg (251.61 KiB) Viewed 1923 times

Luke
Forum Moderator

Re: Sunday Photo Shoot 7/29/12

Postby Luke » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Matt, Nice work at Arlington... you may not need tie plates, though! Check out the two ROW photos below. Believe you're "dead-on" with your track modeling!!

The later photo was taken in 1939 west of Medina and the first is undated at New London, but revealing none-the-less. For the most part, tie plates were not installed on the AC&Y's tangent (straight) track until the 1940's. Bridges and curves had tie plates early on for good reason and yard and industry tracks did not have tie plates until the 1950's. The AC&Y ROW diagram provides dates for rail. ballast and tie plate installations for specific locales as do the AFE's. Keep up the great modeling! REL
Attachments
row 29 - Copy.jpg
AC&Y at New London
row 29 - Copy.jpg (143.83 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
07 - Copy.jpg
West of Medina in 1939
07 - Copy.jpg (201.71 KiB) Viewed 1918 times

mattwoods

Re: Sunday Photo Shoot 7/29/12

Postby mattwoods » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Bob:

Thanks for the much appreciated compliments and the very insightful information on the AC&Y track laying practices. I never would have imagined that the AC&Y did not use tie plates in most instances that late. The trackage in the model photos is on a diorama that I built for a scratch built elevator I did a while ago. I think the rail bars really make the difference along with the wooden ties. Generally, I use Microengineering track for modules and so forth. I wanted to also thank you for posting the interesting information on the bridge at Mount Blanchard. It would make a fantastic Free-mo module. I would really like to see some pictures of the elevator. It could be a potential scratch build. I visited the new and improved Rob's Hobbies on Saturday over in Alliance. I would encourage all area fellow modellers to check them out.

Matt

Return to “AC&Y Modeling”