Help ID this station!

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the AC&Y's Structures and Facilities.
danwest

Help ID this station!

Postby danwest » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:32 pm

I got this slide marked New London AC&Y depot, but this doesn't look like the New London PA&W station pictured in Mark Camp's RR Depots of NE Ohio book. Nor does it look like a standard PA&W station (but it does certainly appear to be a station). I have no other info about the photo other than it was taken in 1990. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Dan West
Ohio RR Stations Past & Present
http://www.west2k.com/ohio.htm
Attachments
newlondon.jpg
newlondon.jpg (122.41 KiB) Viewed 3136 times

Fritz N. Kuenzel

Re: Help ID this station!

Postby Fritz N. Kuenzel » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Dan, If i'm not mistaken i believe it is the NYC RR / Big 4 New London freight depot wich still stands on the south side of the tracks on the east side of Rt. 60. There is a double door PRR painted box car at the west end,the left side in your photo. There used to be a red northeastern style CNJ caboose on the north side of the depot but it was moved maybe 10 years ago about 1 mile north of town on the east side of Rt. 60 and sits out front of a storage unit rental place. The NYC/ Big 4 passenger depot sat somewhere acoss from the freight depot on the north side of the tracks in that tree lined area.I don't know when it was demolished as i never saw it. I have only seen photo's of it.

A few years after i dismantled and started reconstructing my depot a fellow from the New London area stopped by. He gave me a old rusty NYC RR marker light that he had found in the ditch along the NYC RR years ago and asked me if i was interested in a old RR building he had on his farm that his dad had gotten from the NYC RR in New London and moved long ago. Of course that got me interested so i said sure i'll drive over and take a look at it. It was roughly about 10ft. x 16ft. and had seen better days.The floor was rotted as well as the roof and the walls were bowed out.I passed on taking on that project! He told me what it had been used for but i have since forgotten,may have been for strorage near the depot or could have been used for maintenance purposes?

danwest

Re: Help ID this station!

Postby danwest » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:30 pm

You are correct Fritz! Thanks for the help. I've been to the station and photographed it myself, I just didn't recognize it from the other side! Duh!

--Dan

Return to “AC&Y Structures & Facilities”