Scale drawings for F-M H20-44 (AC&Y 500-508)

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the AC&Y's Diesel Locomotives.
Tom Davidson

Scale drawings for F-M H20-44 (AC&Y 500-508)

Postby Tom Davidson » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:26 pm

Do any of our members know of a source for good, reliable, thorough scale drawings for these locos, which were the mainstay of AC&Y motive power from 1948 until the end of AC&Y's independent existence? If you or anybody you know has this info, we'd sure love to know about it. All of our members could benefit, as well as those who favor some of F-M's other customers (PRR. NYC, IHB, UP, P&WV, as well as Southwest Portland Cement).
Thanks.
Tom

wadegriffis

Re: Scale drawings for F-M H20-44 (AC&Y 500-508)

Postby wadegriffis » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:14 pm

Tom : I have looked in every site I can access. The closest I have found is at this site - www.trainweb.org/willstrainart/FM_line.htm .
This gentlemen has produced some really nice drawings. However -- he has done every FM unit except the H-20-44 . If we could
contact him he might be a source. WBG.

jspinksjr

Postby jspinksjr » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:54 pm

It would be AWESOME if someone could do a 3-d printed body using said drawings. Even if the resulting locos were unpowered, we could still couple them up to our slightly easier to obtain H-15/16-44's. When the brass H-20-44's do show up on ebay they are always out of my price range.

Tom Davidson

Postby Tom Davidson » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:05 pm

Thanks. The drawings are interesting. We have some fairly simple drawings that have been published in the AC&YHS News, plus a different set that was published by Railroad Model Craftsman many, many years ago. The level of detail in the drawings featured on that site appear to be about the same as what we have. Interestingly, the Phase I H16-44 is shown in the site's drawing with F-M's patented truck design, rather than the AAR trucks actually supplied on these units. We were hoping to find something like original drawings from F-M.

If we all keep beating the bushes, something may turn up.

Those brass H20's are prone to mechanical failures, but new NWSL gears can improve them. Some owners have completely given up on the original drive, and use the engines exclusively as dummies with Atlas or Bachmann H16-44's.

Tom

Return to “AC&Y Diesel Roster”