Non Revenue Roster

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the AC&Y's Rolling Stock.
jspinksjr

Non Revenue Roster

Postby jspinksjr » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Is there a recorded roster (or photographic roster) of non revenue equipment. Rrpicturearchives.com has good pictures of the steel cabeese. I would like to build a wood bay window caboose for my next project but I am having trouble with the information gathering. I know that they were rebuilt 40' wooden box cars but that is the extent of my knowledge. I also wondered if ACY had a crane boom car, or just used flat cars after the crane.
Thanks, JCS

Tom Davidson

Re: Non Revenue Roster

Postby Tom Davidson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:12 pm

This is a worthy project. there has been talk of an HO kit eventually being produced, but there is no time frame specified, so if you want one, you'll probably have to build it yourself. These cabooses were covered in an article I wrote for the Fall, 1999 AC&YHS News (Vol. VI, No. 3). The cars were rebuilt from boxcars, as you say, but were actually a bit shorter than you suggest. The boxcars had a 36'0" length, and that length was retained in the final caboose configuration. They were rebuilt from AC&Y boxcars in the 500 series between Sept., 1921 and August, 1923, and are believed to have been the first bay window cabooses on any railroad. The article needed drawings, but we were unable to find any, so I drew them myself for the article. No height dimensions have been found, so I looked at photos and made some educated guesses. One particularly helpful photo showed one of the cars coupled up to one of the International Car Co. 60-65 series steel cars. Since we knew the dimensions of the steel cars, I was able to make a pretty good educated guess as to the correct height. The drawings as published in that issue are probably the best available, but I would feel more comfortable if the dimensions were more thoroughly documented. They cover two cars: numbers 52 and 54. If somebody wants to try to improve on them, I encourage them to give it a shot. The Model Die Casting old time boxcar and refrigerator cars are the right length and may be the best starting point. I don't know whether they need to be lowered, but I suspect so. If I were doing this, I would probably start with the reefer because there would be no need to fill the side door opening. The reefer has a flush door, so I would just chisel off the reefer door hardware, sand it smooth, and use a hobby knife or scriber to cut the grooves between boards. If you can't find a copy of the magazine, email me at tomdav404@gmail.com, and I'll send you a Xerox of the article, or maybe even an original of the magazine if I have an extra. This is on condition that you post a photo of the car when you've finished.

Regards,

Tom Davidson

Tom Davidson

Postby Tom Davidson » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:14 pm

When the book comes out, it will answer some of your other questions about AC&Y Company Service cars, with color photos!

Tom

West End

Postby West End » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 pm

Your best bet for an under frame for the caboose is an Accurail under frame from one of the single sheath (outside braced) cars. They are available separately. It will need to have a section cut out of the middle on spliced back together. I used Tom's drawings to get the length. The Accurail under frame is readily available and had the correct center sill.

jspinksjr

Postby jspinksjr » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:31 pm

Thanks everyone for your ideas, information, and feedback. I picked up a nice 36' reefer of unknown manufacturer at the dalton train show that I am going to use as a starting point. But before I do, I need to finish the three cabeese that I have started. I have 2 wrighttrak.com ICC models and one proto 2000 former Reading (class nmh) that I am building as ACY#66.

Return to “AC&Y Freight Roster”