AC&Y-A&BB Book Update II

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad Historical Society's upcoming book. We are looking for additional images, AC&Y graphics, advertising, etc.
Luke
Forum Moderator

AC&Y-A&BB Book Update II

Postby Luke » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:12 am

Thanks to ongoing contributions by the Book Team, we continue to make excellent progress on the planned Society-sponsored Morning Sun publication. It will feature the AC&Y and A&BB railroads; also, with N&W, NS, W&LE and ABC Cluster coverage. This will be a 128-page publication featuring well more than 300 images, most of them "never-seen-before" color.

We are still looking for transition era color images showing AC&Y or A&BB steam and/or early diesels. We know that both roads operated steam and diesel motive power from 1945-1955 and feel color images still exist. Also, color negatives have produced results equal to color slide transparencies and in several instances, high-quality color photos have yielded potentially great book images.

The final book layout drafts are nearing completion. The submission to Morning Sun should be made just after the Holidays. We are presenting the layouts in Publisher's software formats which will speed the process after our submission. We will keep you posted on the book progress and anticipated release date. You will be amazed and proud of this long awaited book! REL

Malcolmcelyn

Re: AC&Y-A&BB Book Update II

Postby Malcolmcelyn » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:49 am

And so to the sordid matter of cost......

Really looking forward to the book. It's sounds excellent. My birthday soon, so it could be a present! How much will my wife have to love me? Lol

Tom Davidson

Postby Tom Davidson » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:01 pm

The price will be up to the publisher, Morning Sun. We won't have any say in the matter. For the most part, I think Morning Sun's color books were in the $50.00 US range, but have increased to the $60.00 US range in recent years. However, a lot of booksellers may offer these books at a bit of a discount. We are getting close to the point of submitting the work to the publisher; but I think it's too soon to say how long it will be until the book actually is in print and available. I'm sure it will be several months, at least. That might give you a chance to save up the money for it. You might want to look into some of Morning Sun's other offerings. These Morning Sun books might be of interest to AC&Y fans:
Nickel Plate Color Photography of Willis A. McCaleb Vol. 1 Buffalo to Bellevue (pub. 1995) P. 120-121 Photo of NKP Fairbanks Morse switcher at Bellevue,
with new AC&Y freight cars, 1966. List price $50.00 when new.
Nickel Plate Color Photography of Willis A. McCaleb Vol. 2 Bellevue-Chicago-Wheeling District (pub. 1996) P. 53 One-page coverage of Delphos showing
NKP and AC&Y diesel maintenance facilities; NKP Alco RS3's, AC&Y F-M diesels; AC&Y bay window "matchbox" wooden
caboose 45 (first bay window caboose in N. America) photographed 1959. List price $50.00 when new.
Nickel Plate Color Photography Vol. 3 The Railfan Perspective (pub. 1997) No specific coverage of AC&Y subjects, but includes many photos of NKP steam
& diesels, including RS3's, which were frequently seen in Delphos & other locations. List price $50.00 when new.
Nickel Plate Road In Color Vol. 1: 1946 - 1959 (pub. 2009) Pp. 25 - 26 Four photos showing NKP 2-8-0 912 on freight train on Toledo Division 1st Subdivision
(north of Delphos) in 1952; Pp. 33 - 35 photos showing NKP 2-8-2 587 on freight train on NKP Toledo Division 2nd Subdivision
running SW from Delphos in October, 1952. Four photos showing this train on street trackage in Delphos; and at Ohio City, Ohio;
at Wilshire, Ohio; and near Decatur, Indiana. List price $60.00 when new.

Malcolmcelyn

Postby Malcolmcelyn » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:54 am

Thanks for the list Tom. Looks like my bank balance is going to take a hit! :D
As for $60 or so, cheap for a labour of love.

DanO

Postby DanO » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:24 pm

Any word from Morning Sun as to when the book will be released?

Luke
Forum Moderator

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:37 am

Dan,
The final 128-page AC&Y-A&BB book layout draft was submitted to Morning Sun in late April, 2014 after nearly a two-year team effort. I am told by other M/S book authors that the publishing / editing process can range from 6 to 8 months. Once that is completed, we will have a brief opportunity to make changes / additions or corrections. Morning Sun books are printed in Korea to the highest standards. I understand that printing times are not long, though shipping / distribution would add at least another month or two. I believe all will be thrilled with the book effort which has already been declared "magnificent" by Morning Sun! Bob

Return to “AC&Y - A&BB Book”