Delphos OH

An open forum to discuss all aspects of modeling the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad.
Malcolmcelyn

Delphos OH

Postby Malcolmcelyn » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi. New member from UK. I hope to model the Nickel Plate Road in Delphos, circa 1957-1962. As you will probably be aware, the PRR served Delphos too, so they'll probably get a look-in on the model. The AC&Y? From what I've seen so far, a shoo-in!! The FM 16-44's look fabulous in yellow. Does the society produce decals for these locos?
Any help as regards track layout and buildings at Delphos AC&Y, in fact anything relating to my chosen era, most gratefully received. Many thanks.

Tom Davidson

Re: Delphos OH

Postby Tom Davidson » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Hello Malcolm ---
I think I can speak for all our members in welcoming you to the fold. Our Society has had decals available in the past, and we are currently trying to make arrangements to have them available in the future. Please be patient and I think we will be able to supply the decals you need. You did not state your modeling scale, so I'm going to presume you're working in HO scale. If that's not correct, let us know and we'll adjust our thinking appropriately.
You may be happy to hear that Kadee will soon be releasing another PS-1 boxcar in the correct original AC&Y lettering. These cars will be very appropriate for the AC&Y in your target time period. Atlas produced models of AC&Y H15-44 diesel no. 200 and H16-44 diesels 201-203 a few years ago, with matching cabooses. They haven't been available for quite some time and are a bit rare now. Hopefully they will produce them again in the future. The Society was instrumental in the production of a kit representing AC&Y's unique cabooses 60-65, built by International Car Co. in 1947. Wright Trak produced this kit a few years ago. It is currently sold out, but there is the possibility that it could be re-released if the demand warrants. We also supplied information to Sunshine Models (Post Office Box 4997, Springfield, Missouri 65808-4997) which resulted in their production of an HO kit representing AC&Y's 3000 series boxcars. These AC&Y cars had steel frames with wooden sides and ends. Although they looked old-fashioned, they served the AC&Y from the early 1940's until the early 1970's, so they will fit into your scheme perfectly. These are still available from Sunshine.
If you have read over this site, you should be aware that several of us have been very busy working on a book that should be available from Morning Sun later this year. This book represents a lot of original research, and will be the most thorough recounting of the AC&Y ever produced. There will be lots of color photos of various locations (including Delphos) as well as the equipment that the road relied upon. There will also be a lot of information on the commodities handled and the AC&Y's relationships with connecting railroads, including the Nickel Plate Road.
We are a small group, so we can't often produce instant results. But we are dedicated to preserving the memory of the AC&Y, and we'll all be happy to help you in whatever way we can.
Again, Welcome!

Tom Davidson

Malcolmcelyn

Re: Delphos OH

Postby Malcolmcelyn » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks for the welcome Tom. Pleased to be here.
I model in HO, so I'm very interested in a re-run of decals. I've only just started researching for this project so I'm in no rush.
I've got a Bachmann FM 16-44 to detail and repaint but no decisions have been made on anything else yet. My major problem is going to be financing all the new locos and freight stock you've just suggested!
Any information on Delphos and it's operation will be more than welcomed, but I have a feeling the AC&Y will find its way under my skin!

Return to “AC&Y Modeling”