Page 1 of 1

Modeling a class "M"

Posted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:47 pm
by West End
Still a few more parts to add but this Bachmann engine is getting pretty close.

Re: Modeling a class "M"

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:53 pm
by Peacock
Please share more on your class M modifications!

Re: Modeling a class "M"

Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:15 pm
by West End
The Bachmann engine was the closest non brass engine to matching the AC&Y class M and M1 engines. The Bachmann engine is however about 10% larger than the AC&Y engine. I made a brief study of the model in "stock" form and compared it with prototype photos. I did find a number of things I couldn't change on the model such as the valve gear. This would be easier on a brass engine so I had to live with what I had. I removed the bell, whistle, turbo generator, check valves, cold water delivery pipes, headlight, class lights, main reservoir tanks, grab irons on the domes, sand dome hatches, and the very crude detail that looks like nothing on a steam engine that sits in front of the cab. I also modified the pilot so only the footboards remained. I cut out the cab windows and removed the factory installed engine crew. I will replace them with better ones as well as other detail parts in the cab.

I filled all the holes from removed parts with squadron putty. I sanded everything smooth. All the parts I used to detail the engine are available from Cal-scale, and Precision Scale with one exception. The class M and M1 engines had a unique Sellers boiler top check valve. It is not commercially available so I had to make one. I used two Cal-Scale standard Nathan checkvalves soldered to a Cal-Scale Nathan top mount checkvalve. It doesn't look 100% right but it is close. The three main reservoir tanks are Precision Scale parts, cut to length and filled with lead shot. I added the airlines from the cab to the reservoir tanks and the air pump to the reservoir tanks using .020 wire.

I still need to do some work on the tender, such as a better ladder on the back, a modified coal bunker, re-railing frogs, etc. The cab roof needs some attention as well. I have already removed the cinder deflector off the rear of the roof and will remove the roof vents and add the correct one.

Re: Modeling a class "M"

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:01 pm
by Peacock
Thanks for the write-up! Share more photos as you progress. :D