New products:

An open forum to discuss all aspects of modeling the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad.
Tom Davidson

New products:

Postby Tom Davidson » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:26 pm

VERY GOOD NEWS FROM A MANUFACTURER OF HIGH QUALITY HO SCALE MODELS
This one isn't really an altogether new item, but it's a welcome addition. Several years ago, when Kadee released their 40' PS-1 boxcar in HO scale, catalog no. 4002 was released in the original 1951 paint scheme as AC&Y number 750. It had a coupler with a head that was equivalent to the popular Kadee 5. Then Kadee released the #2100 coupler conversion kit so we could convert our AC&Y PS-1's to the new standard Kadee "scale-sized" coupler. After some time, this paint scheme became hard to find on hobby shop shelves, so Kadee released a revised version of the original 1951 scheme as catalog number 4058, AC&Y no. 824, with the new couplers. Nowadays it's pretty hard to find either car, so Kadee is planning March, 2014 delivery of a new version of that paint scheme as catalog number 4098. Kadee's web site indicates the new car's number will be 805, so there will be no duplication of earlier releases.

Maybe it's coincidence, or maybe it's planned; but Kadee's timing may be very fortuitous for Kadee and for us. The AC&Y/A&BB book is progressing and should be ready to go to the printer some time in early 2014. If the new car and the book become available around the same time, the result could be improved sales for the Kadee car and the Morning Sun book. The resulting publicity could be a very good thing for both.

For you folks who model the AC&Y in its later years, this car, suitably weathered, would still be desirable. Not all of the 150 cars were repainted before retirement.

LKandO

Re: New products:

Postby LKandO » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Tom, I will be on the lookout for #805. Nice to see a manufacturer release another AC&Y car. I have had no trouble finding the earlier Kadee AC&Y cars NIB on eBay. I have built up quite a collection of them through that channel although they typically command top dollar. http://www.lkorailroad.com/roster/ There are several on auction today. I agree they are all but extinct on hobby shop shelves.

Tom Davidson

Postby Tom Davidson » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:44 pm

LK&O:

That's quite a roster!
Can I make a suggestion or two? I noticed there are no resin kits on your roster. I think it would be neat for you to try one. The Sunshine "3000" car would be a good one to try. I'm not trying to push the kits because of my involvement in the kit's development, but because the "3000" cars were real AC&Y signature cars. Maybe you'd feel more comfortable starting with a kit with an assembled body, then move on to the "3000". The kits look intimidating when you open the box, and they certainly don't fall together like a "shake-the-box" kit, but they can give you a real prize piece if you take your time and take it one step at a time. Another one to seek out is the Bowser fishbelly twin hopper. The Society had decals & we're hoping to have them available again.
I've been paying attention to your progress. You build some of the prettiest benchwork I've seen.

Tom

LKandO

Postby LKandO » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:22 am

Tom, I have one of the Wright Track AC&Y cabooses that was recently released. Technically, it was an early Christmas present from my wife so the roster list won't be updated until after Dec 25. My focus is on getting the layout built. It will be years yet before the first piece of rolling stock is brought out of storage. Everything is safely packed away in big plastic totes stacked up in the corner of the basement. Construction of rolling stock, structures, scenery, and all the rest of the fun stuff will be my retirement activity. That doesn't begin for another 7 years.

Tom Davidson

Postby Tom Davidson » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:29 am

LK&O:

My retirement starts this spring. Now I'll have to put my money where my mouth is & build the dang layout for all the equipment I've been collecting.

Tom

LKandO

Postby LKandO » Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:43 pm

Early congratulations. I hope you look forward to retirement as much as I do. I can only image how giddy you must be knowing it is only a few months away.

jspinksjr

Postby jspinksjr » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:10 am

Athearn has announced yellow ACY 40 foot boxcars in multiple road numbers for a late fall release. These are in their R-T-R line. They are taking reservations now at their website. I am thinking of reserving Christmas gifts for myself. :)

Tom Davidson

Postby Tom Davidson » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:20 pm

Just got a copy of the Walthers Flyer. They have a featured deal on the new Kadee #805 PS-1 boxcars in July: $30.98 for a car that normally retails for $34.95.

Free-mo Tim

Postby Free-mo Tim » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Tom Davidson wrote:Just got a copy of the Walthers Flyer. They have a featured deal on the new Kadee #805 PS-1 boxcars in July: $30.98 for a car that normally retails for $34.95.

Gentlemen,

I'm wondering if either of these cars would be available at the Cleveland National Train Show booths of the manufacturers?
I'll be looking for them and other new "things" in a couple of weeks.

Respectfully,

Tim Moran
Akron, OH

wadegriffis

Postby wadegriffis » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:44 pm

The new ACY #805 car is out and looks very good. Thanks to Tom for letting us know to watch for it. WBG.

Return to “AC&Y Modeling”