Cloverhouse AC&Y dry transfers

An open forum to discuss all aspects of modeling the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad.
mattwoods

Cloverhouse AC&Y dry transfers

Postby mattwoods » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:47 am

Cloverhouse makes an AC&Y dry transfer set for a wooden boxcar. Would anyone know what type or class of car this lettering set would be most appropriate for and exactly when that lettering style was used. I would like to do some of the cars. I assume the lettering goes back to the 1920's or earlier.

mattwoods

Re: Cloverhouse AC&Y dry transfers

Postby mattwoods » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:16 am

The Cloverhouse website states that the prototype car was 36 feet and from 1915. I'm thinking an old Roundhouse 36 foot boxcar might be a reasonable starting point.

rjrizzo

Postby rjrizzo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Matt,

See the AC&YHS News Volume 9 Number 3 for an article on the first AC&Y freight cars. The boxcars had steel fishbelly under frames not truss rods so the Roundhouse cars aren't quite right. You might go with the Westerfield (10500) New Haven fish belly double sheathed boxcar - it looks close to me.

Ralph

mattwoods

Postby mattwoods » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:45 pm

Ralph, Thanks for the reply to my query about the early AC&Y boxcars. I'm wondering if an Accurail fishbelly under frame could be shortened and used with a Roundhouse body. I'm sure the Westerfield model would be much more accurate, but it is a question of how much effort I want to put forth. I will have to obtain that issue of the newsletter.

Luke
Forum Moderator

Postby Luke » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:18 pm

Matt,
As has been stated in prior posts, the Clover Leaf decal set is applicable for the AC&Y's very first freight cars which were acquired in 1912. A comprehensive story appeared in the Fall 2002 AC&YHS News magazine (which is no longer available in print). The boxcars were in the AC&Y's 500-series, a total of 35 built by the ACF Industries (Peninsular Car) in Detroit. Featuring a deep center sill, the boxcars shared a general arrangement with the 50 gondolas and 15 flat cars wherein there are drawings. The boxcars were 36' in length and apparently poorly designed as most were rebuilt and/or converted to cabooses in the early 1920's. From a model standpoint, I would suggest the RTR boxcar offered by Ertl. I believe the Ertl boxcar is 36', if not it's hard to tell. It also has a deep center sill. This was a very $$ expensive model when first offered and only came decorated; but, now can routinely be found on Ebay or train shows for a nominal price. The other suggestions are equally worthy, but might require some kit-bashing. I've included a scan of the Society magazine page featuring a boxcar photo, about the only image we have of the early cars. A couple boxcars were converted to MOW service and survived for some time, one until 1958.
Attachments
First Freight Cars0001 - Copy.jpg
Fall 2002 AC&YHS magazine
First Freight Cars0001 - Copy.jpg (456.76 KiB) Viewed 2194 times

Return to “AC&Y Modeling”