West end AC & Y depot and models

An open forum to discuss all aspects of modeling the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad.
mattwoods

West end AC & Y depot and models

Postby mattwoods » Sun May 20, 2012 6:25 pm

Gentlemen:

I thought since today was the launching of our new AC&YHS forum, that it would a good opportunity to post some of my recent modeling efforts. I have scratch built three of the depot complexes from localities on the west end of the line: Jenera, Vaughnsville, and Arlington. I built them based on a relatively limited number of photos. Although not perfect, I think they are decent representations. They really need the two-bladed semaphore, but I am still trying to figure out where to obtain them. Comments and critiques welcomed.

I will post pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Edwin Kirstatter

Re: West end AC & Y depot and models

Postby Edwin Kirstatter » Sun May 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Those semaphores as you call them are really Train Order Boards. The operator at that station would take orders from the dispatcher by telegraph or telephone to be handed up to the engineer and conductor of a train as a flimsy. To let the train crew know he had orders for them he would lower the target for the direction the train was traveling to the position require. If they had to sign for it they would have to stop. When you get to operations on your layout you will have to study the Book of Rules to know how to do this correctly.

You didn't say you were in HO but I presume that is so, you could look through Walthers giant catalog and maybe find one of those, of course you can scratch build it from brass.
I may be able to find plans for one in my B&O collections.
Ed Kirstatter.

Peacock
Site Admin

Postby Peacock » Sun May 20, 2012 10:14 pm

To add images to posts, have a look at this sticky topic.
http://www.acyhs.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6 ;)

Luke
Forum Moderator

Postby Luke » Wed May 30, 2012 10:16 pm

All:
Here is a photo of the New London depot with the distinctive lower quadrant two direction, three position (red-yellow-green) train order signal. In 1926, AC&Y installed fifteen (15) Union Switch & Signal semaphores replacing the former Cowdry revolving disc signals at Vaughnsville, Columbus Grove, Pandora, Bluffton, Jenera, Arlington, Mt. Blachard, Carey, Sycamore, Lykens, New London, Spencer, Litchfield, Medina and Sharon Center. Accurate models of the AC&Y signals (both approach and train order) can be secured from Tomar Industries. Make sure to first contact Dwayne. REL
Attachments
DEPOT @ OH, New London - AC&Y 7-3-2011 C.jpg
DEPOT @ OH, New London - AC&Y 7-3-2011 C.jpg (234.84 KiB) Viewed 1939 times

Return to “AC&Y Modeling”