Akron Barberton Belt

An open forum to discuss all aspects of modeling the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad.
abbrr

Akron Barberton Belt

Postby abbrr » Wed May 23, 2012 10:53 pm

I am modeling the A.B.B. From Barberton to east Akron. So far i have track down from the Barberton engine facility to Firestone yard. I have one diesel done #25 and am working on an 0-6-0 now. Are there any other A.B.B. modelers out there?
Matt Kline
Cuyahoga Falls
DSC00677.JPG
Bridge over the B & O and PRR
DSC00677.JPG (89.84 KiB) Viewed 3902 times

IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg (124.47 KiB) Viewed 3902 times

mattwoods

Re: Akron Barberton Belt

Postby mattwoods » Thu May 24, 2012 12:13 am

Matt, I don't model the A.B.B R exclusively, but did do one of their diesels. I used an Athearn S12. It was kind of a quickie job, but it turned out ok. I actually had custom decals made for it, but they didn't work out. Maybe I will post pictures of the model. Your fill and bridge look great. Keep us posted on your progress.

LKandO

Postby LKandO » Thu May 24, 2012 4:42 pm

I currently do not have ABB in my track plan however the design was engineered to accept it if desired at a later time. Spur 4 off Brittain Yard is at the end of my upper deck. The lower deck is accessed by a helix below spur 4 so is suitable for modeling the ABB interchange (with a little distortion of reality ;) ).

pslota

Postby pslota » Fri May 25, 2012 8:36 am

I am modeling the AC&Y Brittain Yard to Delphos and plan on including the interchange at Brittain as well as at Belt Junction. I do not have ABB equipment modeled as of yet but will as things progress. Growing up in Barberton I have fond memories of the ABB - the "Chemical" tank cars being switched out across Tuscawaras Ave (I used to watch from Strazen's Cafe at 14th street corner), unloading box cars as I worked for the Ohio Brass Compny, and watching the trains run the tracks behind the Magic City Shopping Center.

Free-mo Tim

Postby Free-mo Tim » Mon May 28, 2012 5:25 pm

10ft_Beaver_St_siding.jpg
A segment of the A&BB modeled as a Free-mo module set
10ft_Beaver_St_siding.jpg (218.69 KiB) Viewed 3869 times

Here's a picture of the Beaver Street siding track plan as a Free-mo module. Prototype based but not a foot by foot copy.
The green squares are 1ft grid and the grey are 1 inch grid. The turnouts are all #6's. Drawing made using 3rd PlanIt software.
The modules are under construction as of this time.

Regards,

Tim Moran
Akron, OH

Free-mo Tim

Postby Free-mo Tim » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:37 pm

pslota wrote:I am modeling the AC&Y Brittain Yard to Delphos and plan on including the interchange at Brittain as well as at Belt Junction. I do not have ABB equipment modeled as of yet but will as things progress. Growing up in Barberton I have fond memories of the ABB - the "Chemical" tank cars being switched out across Tuscawaras Ave (I used to watch from Strazen's Cafe at 14th street corner), unloading box cars as I worked for the Ohio Brass Compny, and watching the trains run the tracks behind the Magic City Shopping Center.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Can you tell me if the location in the link below is the Ohio Brass company siding? I know that the picture was taken in the mid-40's. The W&LE hopper seems to spotted near the boiler room in the north east corner of the plant.
http://cdm16079.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15330coll22/id/82887/rec/8
The track arrangement looks like it matches the one on the Sanborn Fire map of the plant from 1930 (updated in 1947)
Ohio_Brass_Barberton1947.jpg
Sanborn Fire map of the Ohio Brass plant (updated in 1947)
Ohio_Brass_Barberton1947.jpg (205.85 KiB) Viewed 3846 times

Would you also share what kind of stuff you unloaded from boxcars for the plant. This location might be a good future module!

Thanks in advance!

Tim Moran
Akron, OH

pslota

Postby pslota » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:39 am

Tim,

I worked at Ohio Brass from June 1965 until April 1966 (when I went to work for Uncle Sam). I was a Tow Motor or Fork Lift operator on third shift. Usually I unloaded box cars on overtime after my normal shift which was spent emptying trash bins, moving pallets of fired insulators from the kilns to the inspection areas, and setting "finished" product in the warehouse.

The usual loads removed from the box cars were pallets of bagged ceramic mix, boxes of metal caps and spindles that were used to hook insulators together, and raw lumber.

I never loaded box cars...this was done by the day shift fork lift operators against bills of lading furnished by the shipping department but was definately finished insulators.

-patrick

Return to “AC&Y Modeling”