box car or building?

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad
abbrr

box car or building?

Postby abbrr » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:09 pm

While researching my ac&y forge st module i came across a picture in the ac&y news, volume 16 number 2 summer 2011top of page 6. It is the East entrance to the tunnel. On the top left is what appears to be a string of box cars. I have never seen any other evidence of track in this location. Might this be a building, possibly part of the brewery?

Peacock
Site Admin

Re: box car or building?

Postby Peacock » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:17 pm

abbrr,
What you are looking at in that particular picture are box cars at Muehlstein's Scrap Rubber facility.
ForgeStMuehlstein2.jpg
ForgeStMuehlstein2.jpg (245.47 KiB) Viewed 3418 times

You can see piles of scrap tires at the edge of the siding also. In the distance is Renner's Chimney used for boiling wört.
The AC&Y had a siding that served both Muehlstein and Geo J. Renner Brewery. I am working on an article for the AC&Y News about this siding. I am attaching some Sanborn maps that I put together that show it.
AC&Y Renner.jpg
AC&Y Renner.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 3419 times

Today the siding is gone Google Earth/Maps shows the scar that it left. If you go down there, you will see a tire retaining wall, it's the only remnant of Muehlstein's. Renner's has been re-purposed and is mostly still intact.

abbrr

Postby abbrr » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:45 pm

Thanks. The higher quality picture shows so much more. I have pictures of the tire retaining wall but have no idea how i am going to model it. After looking at the map i remember seeing what looked like loading dock doors on the side of the brewery. Do you know when this siding was abandoned or removed

Peacock
Site Admin

Postby Peacock » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:41 pm

Last record the siding appears to be gone around the early 1980's. Still doing research though!

Return to “Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad Discussions”