Spencer Feed Mill Destroyed By Fire

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad
mattwoods

Spencer Feed Mill Destroyed By Fire

Postby mattwoods » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:03 pm

I went to Spencer on Saturday to get additional photos of the feed mill along the former AC&Y and I was very surprised and dismayed to find it burnt to the ground. The attached article confirms that it was not a controlled burn. I am currently scratch building the structure and will have to preserve it in model form. This structure was definitely a familiar and iconic symbol that clearly identified Spencer. Fortunately, I had taken a fair number of pictures previously. If anyone has photos of the structure prior to being covered in corrugated metal, I would greatly appreciate them. I built my model as I believed it might have looked prior to being covered, although I intend to do a corrugated version in styrene. I will post pictures of the buildings remains later.

http://medinagazette.northcoastnow.com/ ... n-spencer/

Luke
Forum Moderator

Re: Spencer Feed Mill Destroyed By Fire

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:15 am

Matt, Sorry to hear of the demise of the old Spencer Elevator. It was a classic structure, part of the Northern Ohio/AC&Y legacy and a modeler's dream. I had witnessed its slow deterioration over the past 35-years. Fortunately, it has been well preserved photographically; also, within Society Archive records. I'll post a couple prototype photos. Images are also found in George Elwood's "Fallen Flag" website. REL
Attachments
Spencer Elevator NSide_Lucas_Lo.jpg
Spencer Elevator NSide_Lucas_Lo.jpg (39.29 KiB) Viewed 2716 times
Spencer Elevator SSide_Lucas_Lo - Copy.jpg
Spencer Elevator SSide_Lucas_Lo - Copy.jpg (66.7 KiB) Viewed 2716 times

Return to “Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad Discussions”