Steve notes that carbon black moved both in boxcars and, in later years, specialized covered hoppers owned or leased by the manufacturers. HO scale modelers can delight that two custom kits are now available for the 3000-cuf carbon black covered hoppers. Built from 1933 to 1953, these unique early cars were frequent visitors on the AC&Y into the 1980’s. Hopefully, a modeling article will appear featuring construction of carbon black covered hoppers.
- Continental Carbon oil furnace plant at Lake Charles, LA in 1957. Courtesy Jay Miller.
- westlake - Copy.jpg (173.27 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
- Goodyear Plant II showing Carbon Black Silos
- Plant2_1_Notes - Copy - Copy.jpg (233.68 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
- Continental Carbon C/H courtesy Rail Shops
- Copy (2) of Carbon Black instructions 001 - Copy.jpg (237.98 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
It was in their monogram series - #15. It contains a complete history of the owners , manufacturers , number of cars
owned. It also has line drawings of all the major variations in these cars. It has prototype construction details and
dimenisons. It has all the details as to hatch sizes , roof - walk widths , hatch placements - you name it.
I have built 5 cars using the book for info. I have two 1972 - square sample pockets car, a late 1972 - round sample pocket,
a car built in Oct 1977 and a car built in 1980. Haven't gotten them painted as yet ( weather has not been co-operating),
but do have decals for the first three cars. I hope to bring these cars to the convention next fall. Will try to post pictures
when i get the cars completed.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest