AC&YHS Free-mo Modular Layout Questionnaire

An open forum to discuss all aspects of a “Free-mo” modular layout of the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad.
mattwoods

AC&YHS Free-mo Modular Layout Questionnaire

Postby mattwoods » Sun May 20, 2012 11:06 pm

___________________________________ ______________________________
Name Phone and/or Email Address

Are you interested in participating in a society-wide modular layout depicting key geographic locations on the original AC&Y? Y or N

Are you currently working on a home layout or a member of another model railroad club? Y or N

Are you familiar with the “Free-mo” modular concept? Y or N

What geographical locations or features along the original AC&Y are you most interested in? _____________________________________________________________________

Would you be willing to work in conjunction with another society member on a module or group of modules? Y or N

What modeling activities do you prefer or consider your strong points? ______________

Do you consider yourself to be a prototype modeler? Y or N

Are you interested in prototype practices and operations? Y or N

What era or year in particular are you most interested in? _________________________

Are you willing to accept a majority of the construction costs for your module(s), including lumber, scenery materials, wiring, track, and structures? Y or N

Do you feel comfortable scratch building structures? Y or N

Are you interested in prototype research? Y or N

Will you be able to make your module(s) available for some train shows or the society annual meeting? Y or N

Are you willing to utilize DCC for the modular layout? Y or N

List any suggestions or concerns you may have for this initiative or project. ___________

If you are not interested in owning or building a module, would you be interested in contributing in other ways – financially, prototype research, structure kitbashing or scratch building, set up, operation, other? Please describe. _________________________

Free-mo Tim

Re: AC&YHS Free-mo Modular Layout Questionnaire

Postby Free-mo Tim » Sun May 27, 2012 7:10 am

mattwoods wrote:___________________________________ ______________________________
Name: Tim Moran

Phone and/or Email Address: tim-moran@neo.rr.com

Are you interested in participating in a society-wide modular layout depicting key geographic locations on the original AC&Y? Yes

Are you currently working on a home layout or a member of another model railroad club?
Yes. Home layout and Free-mo group (Western Reserve (Ohio) Free-mo)

Are you familiar with the “Free-mo” modular concept? Yes. Have built modules to the Free-mo standard since 2005.

What geographical locations or features along the original AC&Y are you most interested in? Segments of the A&BB around Akron (at this time).

Would you be willing to work in conjunction with another society member on a module or group of modules? Possibly

What modeling activities do you prefer or consider your strong points? Research and design, DCC, trackwork, scenery

Do you consider yourself to be a prototype modeler? Yes

Are you interested in prototype practices and operations? Yes

What era or year in particular are you most interested in? Steam and 1st generation diesel

Are you willing to accept a majority of the construction costs for your module(s), including lumber, scenery materials, wiring, track, and structures? Yes. That is normal for Free-mo.

Do you feel comfortable scratch building structures? Not yet.

Are you interested in prototype research? Yes

Will you be able to make your module(s) available for some train shows or the society annual meeting? Possibly

Are you willing to utilize DCC for the modular layout? That is a requirement of Free-mo

List any suggestions or concerns you may have for this initiative or project.

I'd recommend that anyone interested in Free-mo standards go to http://www.free-mo.org/standard. The standard has allowed people from different areas of the country to build their modules and then assemble them into working miniature railroads. One critical component is curved modules. We don't have the luxury of the prototype; layouts have to fit into rooms. I look forward to other people's responses!

If you are not interested in owning or building a module, would you be interested in contributing in other ways – financially, prototype research, structure kitbashing or scratch building, set up, operation, other? Please describe. _________________________

mattwoods

Postby mattwoods » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:59 pm

Tim:

Thanks for taking the time to answer the questionnaire. When I devised it, it was not intended to be presented in this type of medium, but I thought it couldn't hurt to at least make it available here so people could start thinking about some of these considerations. It sounds like you have some experience with the Free-mo concept that could be helpful to the AC&Y group. We certainly welcome the portrayal of any localities along the line and do not intend to be limited to a solely linear design. There are many people even experienced modellers for whom Free-mo is a totally foreign concept. As an AC&Y focused group, it is essential that we have a critical mass that understands, appreciates, and embraces the concept if we are going to be able to pull off any kind of meaningful layout. At this point, we need a strong consensus on some key issues to help clarify our direction. Thus far, the response and measurable commitment has been limited, although at the last convention when the idea was presented, the response was quite enthusiastic. I built my module to be adjustable between 50-54" from track height to floor. At this point, I don't know whether that is acceptable to others. These are factors that need to be worked out and agreed upon. The idea of combining with other groups may appeal to some, but I don't think that was necessarily part of the original intention. I think over the course of the summer, prior to the next convention, we need to get on the same page with all the interested parties and assess the willingness to accept the Free-mo standards and requirements and proceed from there. The vision is to have an accurate and prototype-based depiction of key AC&Y locations according to member interest and have the ability to set up the layout at the annual convention and other events. It sounds like you are well on your way to contributing to this effort.

Matt Woods

Free-mo Tim

Postby Free-mo Tim » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:01 am

[
mattwoods wrote:
"Tim: It sounds like you have some experience with the Free-mo concept that could be helpful to the AC&Y group. We certainly welcome the portrayal of any localities along the line and do not intend to be limited to a solely linear design. There are many people even experienced modellers for whom Free-mo is a totally foreign concept."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Matt,

Let's start here; Free-mo is simply a method to achieve a goal. If members of this group want to build accurate and prototype based AC&Y location in HO scale, then each member selects the scene(s) that hit their "hot" button. People typically choose their locations because of a personal connection to that location. This close connection to the scene generally results in a higher level of completion and accuracy. The modeler selects the scene or location with the knowledge of their abilities to make a good representation of that location, regardless of the simplicity or complexity of the location.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"As an AC&Y focused group, it is essential that we have a critical mass that understands, appreciates, and embraces the concept if we are going to be able to pull off any kind of meaningful layout. At this point, we need a strong consensus on some key issues to help clarify our direction. Thus far, the response and measurable commitment has been limited, although at the last convention when the idea was presented, the response was quite enthusiastic. I built my module to be adjustable between 50-54" from track height to floor. At this point, I don't know whether that is acceptable to others. These are factors that need to be worked out and agreed upon."
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What key scenes do you feel are needed to have a modular AC&Y layout? I've seen towns listed as suggested modules. Build a couple of those, put some scenery modules between them, add staging and you've got a prototype based, operational AC&Y model railroad. I've been to a small Free-mo "display" where there was only 1 "town". Trains passed through, stopped at the station, or switched the industries in town. Just like in the real world.

"The idea of combining with other groups may appeal to some, but I don't think that was necessarily part of the original intention. I think over the course of the summer, prior to the next convention, we need to get on the same page with all the interested parties and assess the willingness to accept the Free-mo standards and requirements and proceed from there. The vision is to have an accurate and prototype-based depiction of key AC&Y locations according to member interest and have the ability to set up the layout at the annual convention and other events. It sounds like you are well on your way to contributing to this effort."
Matt Woods

The desire to interact with other Free-mo members and groups isn't necessary for us to achieve the stated goals above. If the group decides to proceed with the Free-mo standard and build modules, I have several modules already built and used in numerous events ranging from the Lodi Outlet mall layout this past April to the National Train Show Free-mo layouts at Detroit in 2007 and Milwaukee in 2010.

I'd be happy to contribute time, information, and experience to this group's efforts. Anyone interested in a sit down get together?

Respectfully,

Tim Moran
Akron, OH

Return to “AC&Y Modular Layout”