Free-Mo Modular Layout

An open forum to discuss all aspects of a “Free-mo” modular layout of the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad.
mattwoods

Free-Mo Modular Layout

Postby mattwoods » Sun May 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Dear Fellow Society Members:

As a member of the AC&YHS Board of Trustees, I was asked by Robert Peacock to promote and organize the development of a "free-mo" modular layout that would be a prototype based depiction of the original AC&Y mainline and various localities along the route. Thus far, a number of people have expressed interest in the general concept, but more specific and individual interest has not been determined. I have built a 2'x6' "free-mo" module based on the "free-mo" standards. I have also developed a questionnaire aimed at gathering information that would help drive the project and determine the scope of the interest. It has not yet been determined the best way to convey the questionnaire, but this forum will likely be an excellent starting point. The appeal of the "free-mo" concept is its flexibility in allowing for prototypical track planning and replication of prototype localities. I will post pictures of my initial module and progress shots as I develop the scenery and track work. Questions and comments related to this topic are welcome.

Sincerely,
Matt Woods
Freemo photo #1.JPG
Freemo photo #1
Freemo photo #1.JPG (101.08 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
Freemo photo #2.JPG
Freemo photo #2
Freemo photo #2.JPG (115.48 KiB) Viewed 2615 times
Freemo photo #3.JPG
Freemo photo #3
Freemo photo #3.JPG (129.62 KiB) Viewed 2615 times

Free-mo Tim

Re: Free-Mo Modular Layout

Postby Free-mo Tim » Sun May 27, 2012 7:56 am

mattwoods wrote:Dear Fellow Society Members:

As a member of the AC&YHS Board of Trustees, I was asked by Robert Peacock to promote and organize the development of a "free-mo" modular layout that would be a prototype based depiction of the original AC&Y mainline and various localities along the route. Thus far, a number of people have expressed interest in the general concept, but more specific and individual interest has not been determined. I have built a 2'x6' "free-mo" module based on the "free-mo" standards. I have also developed a questionnaire aimed at gathering information that would help drive the project and determine the scope of the interest. It has not yet been determined the best way to convey the questionnaire, but this forum will likely be an excellent starting point. The appeal of the "free-mo" concept is its flexibility in allowing for prototypical track planning and replication of prototype localities. I will post pictures of my initial module and progress shots as I develop the scenery and track work. Questions and comments related to this topic are welcome.

Sincerely,
Matt Woods
Freemo photo #1.JPG
Freemo photo #2.JPG
Freemo photo #3.JPG

Matt,

You've got a nice start to a module!

Have you determined what you're going to model? With 6 feet, you have enough space for quite a few options. Trackplan available?

Regards,

Tim Moran
Akron, OH

mattwoods

Re: Free-Mo Modular Layout

Postby mattwoods » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Tim:

Thanks for the compliment in regards to my module. I am hoping to possibly do 2 more. As you can see, the legs fold up completely under the frame. There will be a 2" foam layer on top of the cross braces flush with the top of the sides and ends. I will likely do Vaughnsville, maybe Spencer, and possibly Plymouth. Nothing concrete at this point. I have built depots for Jenera, Arlington, and Vaughnsville, along with a good representation of the Wheeling depot at Spencer and the feedmill at Spencer, along the AC&Y. I would prefer to not have to go wider than 2' on any of my modules or have additional offshoots to accomplish a particular locality, although I fully appreciate and understand that is a benefit and possibility with Free-mo. I hope to solidify my plans over the summer.

Matt Woods

Return to “AC&Y Modular Layout”