AC&YHS Free-Mo Modular Layout Proposal

An open forum to discuss all aspects of a “Free-mo” modular layout of the Akron Canton & Youngstown Railroad.
mattwoods

AC&YHS Free-Mo Modular Layout Proposal

Postby mattwoods » Sun May 20, 2012 11:05 pm

AC&Y Historical Society Modular Layout Proposal
Submitted by Matt Woods, Sat., February 11, 2012

Objective: To provide an opportunity for members of the AC&YHS to replicate key localities of the AC&Y and various interchanges in modular form and come together occasionally to combine these modules to form much of the original AC&Y trackage. Potential occasions for the assembly of the modular layout would include the annual meeting and various train shows. The ultimate benefit of this endeavor is the perpetuation of the AC&Y in miniature and the ability to use the modular layout for educational purposes and historical reenactment. The layout could also serve to attract new and more members.

Key Considerations: I would recommend that the modules be built to free-mo standards
which are a much more flexible and potentially realistic means of replicating prototype
locations and operations. In other words, the free-mo concept lends itself to point-to-point operation and the simulation of the single track mainline which was the AC&Y’s dominant feature. The free-mo format is much more conducive to the alternating of key towns and interchanges interspersed with areas of rural scenery.

Modelgenic Locations on the AC&Y:

Going from East to West:
(1) Akron/Brittain Yard
(2) Copley
(3) Medina
(4) Spencer
(5) Carey
(6) Columbus Grove
(7) Delphos

I’m sure there are other important locations that people would be interested in modeling or including in a comprehensive depiction of the AC&Y.

The modules according to free-mo design would vary in length and width according to the location being modeled. Various members could combine or work together for some of the key locations. The only standardized criteria from module to module would be the maintenance and alignment of the mainline.

Other Considerations:
According to the number of interested members or participants, the key locations would be chosen or assigned. There would need to be agreement on code of rail, wiring and operating system. Certain modeling standards would also have to be adhered to including continuity and uniformity of scenery and prototypicalness of key structures or trackage arrangements. Before any modules were built, it would be imperative that there be communication and agreement amongst the participants. This project could be an ongoing endeavor that can grow and expand over time and could certainly be enjoyed operationally without full completion of scenic and structure detail.

Free-mo Tim

Re: AC&YHS Free-Mo Modular Layout Proposal

Postby Free-mo Tim » Sun May 27, 2012 7:50 am

mattwoods wrote:AC&Y Historical Society Modular Layout Proposal
Submitted by Matt Woods, Sat., February 11, 2012

Objective: To provide an opportunity for members of the AC&Y HS to replicate key localities of the AC&Y and various interchanges in modular form and come together occasionally to combine these modules to form much of the original AC&Y trackage. Potential occasions for the assembly of the modular layout would include the annual meeting and various train shows. The ultimate benefit of this endeavor is the perpetuation of the AC&Y in miniature and the ability to use the modular layout for educational purposes and historical reenactment. The layout could also serve to attract new and more members.

Key Considerations: I would recommend that the modules be built to Free-mo standards http://www.free-mo.org/standard which are a much more flexible and potentially realistic means of replicating prototype locations and operations. In other words, the Free-mo concept lends itself to point-to-point operation and the simulation of the single track mainline which was the AC&Y’s dominant feature. The Free-mo format is much more conducive to the alternating of key towns and interchanges interspersed with areas of rural scenery.

Modelgenic Locations on the AC&Y:

Going from East to West:
(1) Akron/Brittain Yard
(2) Copley
(3) Medina
(4) Spencer
(5) Carey
(6) Columbus Grove
(7) Delphos

I’m sure there are other important locations that people would be interested in modeling or including in a comprehensive depiction of the AC&Y.

The modules according to Free-mo design would vary in length and width according to the location being modeled. Various members could combine or work together for some of the key locations. The only standardized criteria from module to module would be the Free-mo standard.

Other Considerations:
According to the number of interested members or participants, the key locations would be chosen or assigned. There would need to be agreement on code of rail, wiring and operating systemhttp://www.free-mo.org/standard. Certain modeling standards would also have to be adhered to including continuity and uniformity of scenery and prototypicalness of key structures or trackage arrangements. Before any modules were built, it would be imperative that there be communication and agreement amongst the participants. This project could be an ongoing endeavor that can grow and expand over time and could certainly be enjoyed operationally without full completion of scenic and structure detail.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The pairing of Free-mo and the Society's desire to share the flavor and substance of the AC&Y in miniature is a great decision. The fact that the NMRA's 2014 national convention and National Train Show will be held in Cleveland makes this a good time to get started. A Free-mo layout is "expected" at the National Train Show and there are people already planning on attending with their modules.

The list of modelgenic locations is a good starting point. However, some of those items would take a large effort to achieve a realistic result. Something "smaller" yet uniquely AC&Y would be the Hazel Street bridge scene. That would easily fit in a 4 ft module and cannot be mistaken for any other location or railroad. A project like this could be "completed" within a reasonable amount of time.

Currently, I'm building a module set representing the Akron and Barberton Belt line in central Akron. This area is north of East Exchange between Annadale and West Market Streets. You can see part of this area while traveling north on Route 8 past the "Central Interchange".

There are other Free-mo modelers in the area that would welcome AC&Y based modules at their events, too. I can add to that topic at another time as the membership sees appropriate.

Hope to see your plans and interests develop into HO scale!

Tim Moran
Akron, OH

Tom Davidson

Postby Tom Davidson » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:15 pm

Is there a list of AC&Y/A&BB Free-Mo modules that are operational, or under construction, or contemplated? I'm thinking about trying my hand at one, but don't want to duplicate somebody else's efforts. Since I live in Maryland, I wouldn't be able to get up to Ohio for meets very often, but it could be arranged now & then. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom Davidson

Free-mo Tim

Postby Free-mo Tim » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:41 pm

Tom,

I don't know of any list at this time. Is there a particular segment of either RR that interests you?
My module is part of the A&BB north of E. Exchange, between Annadale Rd. and Arlington Rd. in Akron.

BTW, there is a Free-mo group in the DC and surrounding areas that might interest you. They wouldn't object to a little bit of Ohio being offered for a setup!
If you're interested, you can email: capitolfree-mo-owner@yahoogroups.com.

Have a great holiday season and please share your plans!

Tim Moran
Akron, OH

Tom Davidson

Postby Tom Davidson » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:46 pm

Tim & others:

No specific plans right now. When I retire next year I intend to start working on an HO layout in the basement, which will mostly be the west end. I expect Delphos will be staging. The plan MAY include one of the small towns west of CG, but for all practical purposes the active mainline will begin at CG. The idea is to work around the perimeter of the basement, including Pandora, Bluffton, and Jenera. Then the line is to follow along both sides of a peninsula, including Arlington and Fishers. At this point, the track will have risen high enough to be on a second level. The line will continue into Carey, then Sycamore, Chatfield, New Washington, and Plymouth. I'm not sure whether I can fit Greenwich - New London/Hiles in there without undue crowding, so the eastern end is still to be determined. In any case, the line would terminate in a hidden staging area. I've been collecting equipment for all the intersecting/connecting RR's for years, and I want to show it off, so most (maybe all) interchanges will be active. I really like all of those RR's, and modeling the AC&Y is a good way to link them all into one coherent layout.

I envision the module as being an integral (but removable) part of the final layout. Sycamore or Jenera might be good choices, since either one could be built small enough that I could transport it in a moderate-sized car. After all, I live in Maryland & would like to be able to bring it to Ohio now & then.

Tom

Return to “AC&Y Modular Layout”