Few would know that there were actually two previous coal docks at Brittain and one at Silver Street, the old Northern Ohio Railway terminal. The first Brittain coal dock was actually a coal platform built when the yard was constructed in 1912. Coal was hand shoveled into tenders of adjacent locomotives. Fortunately, the early engines were diminutive in size, so the process functioned reasonably well. A few years later, in 1918, an 85-ton wood coal tipple was built to service AC&Y's growing roster of much larger steam locomotives. We know it was built in 1918 based on ICC Valuation records. Amazingly, drawings of this interesting structure still exist among the many priceless artifacts found in the AC&Y Historical Society Archive. A copy of the drawing and early photo are provided for those who might have interest in modeling or seeing how the coal dock operated. The photo likely was taken between 1923 and 1926 as the roundhouse had been expanded beyond the original seven stalls.
- Wood Coal Dock at Brittain - Oct. 1918
- Original Coaling Tower - Brittain Yard - Copy.jpg (232.63 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
- Pre-1926 view of AC&Y Brittain Terminal
- AC&Y Coal Dock pre-1926.jpg.jpg (130.28 KiB) Viewed 2469 times
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest