ACY yellow box cars

An open forum to discuss all aspects of the AC&Y's Rolling Stock.
wadegriffis

ACY yellow box cars

Postby wadegriffis » Mon May 21, 2012 9:59 pm

I am going to have decals made to allow the proper modelling of the ACY's yellow box cars. My question is does anyone know the proper shade of the red lettering. I have seen all different shades used on commerical models. The Athearn car has a fairly dark red . The Accurail car has a very bright almost flourescent red. There is a picture in an old article by Mont Switzer that shows one of the ACY cars in the main article in black and white , but later in the article a very small color picture of the same car in color is shown. The red is really pretty dark. Can anyone give me a direction here? I have ink color swatches from RailGraphics , and am leaning toward using their "deep red " . Thanks . Wade Griffis

Edwin Kirstatter

Re: ACY yellow box cars

Postby Edwin Kirstatter » Mon May 21, 2012 11:46 pm

It is probably the same red they used on their Cabooses.
They would have that paint in stock in the storehouse.
It was used as the background color of the square tender
hearold too.

How do you do spell check with this ?

But I would really like to see decals for the old boxcar red cars.
Ed K.

Luke
Forum Moderator

Postby Luke » Tue May 22, 2012 4:51 pm

Hi Wade,
Don't believe I can email photos through this forum, so will send you via regular email a couple photos showing AC&Y's ex-New Haven PS-1 40' boxcars with red lettering. The red (shade) appears to me to be much brighter than either caboose red or that used in the back round of steam era heralds. Bob

Luke
Forum Moderator

Postby Luke » Wed May 23, 2012 8:27 am

All,
Here is a photo of AC&Y's ex-New Haven PS-1 yellow boxcars with red lettering. A separate email with more photos / larger files was forwarded to Wade for decal work. Bob
Attachments
0623091-R01-014.Jpg
Mishap at Pandora, Ohio
0623091-R01-014.Jpg (76.25 KiB) Viewed 4156 times

wadegriffis

Postby wadegriffis » Wed May 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have a question of Mr. Kirstatter - which series of brown ACY box cars are you interested in? Are you looking at steel cars or wooden ones. I am interested in developing any ACY sets I can get information on. My biggest need is accurate photos to develop letters and numbers from . Let me know what your thinking . Thanks, Wade Griffis

Return to “AC&Y Freight Roster”