Introduction

An open forum to discuss the AC&Y Railroad Historical Society
Malcolmcelyn

Introduction

Postby Malcolmcelyn » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:09 pm

I've just signed up to this forum so thought I should introduce myself.
My name is Malcolm, I'm 50, married and from the UK. So why the A.C.&Y.?
My particular interest is the Nickel Plate Road (NKP). Whilst casting about for a location to model, the suggestion was made, Delphos, OH. It's not a big leap of the imagination to see why I'm here! The model is still some way off. I'm just researching at the moment. However, it seems likely the AC&Y will feature, so I'd like to learn a bit more about it. 1957 to 1962 is the timeframe, NKP, PRR & AC&Y seem probable. I hope that what I end up with will do justice to this magical little line!
Thanks for having me! Best Wishes,

Malcolm Smith.

DanO

Re: Introduction

Postby DanO » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:36 pm

If you back date your era by a few years, you could have your NKP engines turned using AC&Y's wye for just $1.00.

Malcolmcelyn

Postby Malcolmcelyn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:22 am

When was the wye in use by the NKP then Dan?

Tom Davidson

Postby Tom Davidson » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:08 pm

Somebody may want to correct me on this, but I think NKP dieselized their lines into Delphos around 1953. During steam years they used the AC&Y's wye to turn the H-5 and H-6 2-8-2's that came in from Frankfort, Indiana, but they used the small NKP Delphos turntable to turn the smaller class G-8 and G-9 2-8-0's that were used between Delphos and Toledo. Once they dieselized that area, there was no need to use the wye because the diesels fit on the NKP turntable. AC&Y may have run steam into Delphos after 1953, but I'm not sure. AC&Y steam servicing facilities on the west end were retired earlier than on the east end. All steam left AC&Y in 1955.

Return to “AC&Y Railroad Historical Society”