Archives

An open forum to discuss the AC&Y Railroad Historical Society
pslota

Archives

Postby pslota » Fri May 25, 2012 8:49 am

Not sure where to post this but thought would start here. I currently live in Nashville, TN but grew up in Barberton and lived in the area from 1947 (birth year) until 1981. I have just finished remodeling a walk-in attic room and am starting the construction of the AC&Y from Brittain Yard to Delphos with inclusion of the towns of Copley, Spencer, Hiles, New London, Carey and Delphos. While I have a lot of information and pictures of the areas I want to model, I am lacking in many others...as an example, I have a blueprint of the water lines at Brittain Yard that is dated 1928 and updated through 1948 so I have a decent track plan of the roundhouse and servicing area, however, I do not have a plan of the yard beyond the west throat (nothing east showing the entire track layout).

So the broader question is; with all of the data that is in the archives, how does one get access to that data to gather the information wanted when they are not in the Akron area? Is there a cataloging process taking place? Is there online access? Will there be online access? Is there someone that will get this information for us if asked?

LKandO

Re: Archives

Postby LKandO » Fri May 25, 2012 11:22 am

I used multiple zoomed in Google maps to create a full map of Brittain and then painstakingly drew the track plan overlay. I can send you a hi-res version of this if you like.

brittain.jpg
brittain.jpg (63.34 KiB) Viewed 6304 times

pslota

Postby pslota » Fri May 25, 2012 4:57 pm

Alan,

I used Google mapping also...and i may go with that track layout even tho it is current depiction...however, I am modeling the early 50's and so wanted to try to get as close to that track plan as I could...not sure how much may have been ripped up/changed since then - and maybe it doesn't matter as long as it resembles close to what was there.

LKandO

Postby LKandO » Fri May 25, 2012 5:29 pm

I lived in the area from 1965 to 1996. Track-wise nothing changed during that time that I noticed. If there were changes then they must have been minor ones. Don't ever recall seeing heavy MOW activity in Brittain. Bob Lucas of ACYHS would know for sure.

Luke
Forum Moderator

Postby Luke » Sat May 26, 2012 9:10 am

AC&Y is one of the better documented Class I railroads. This also includes the A&BB. The Society Archive has been largely consolidated in a secure central location in Akron. The Archive IS OPEN by advance request. There is much to be done, however, to make our vast collection "user friendly". A few members have worked with the material and can usually locate specific (AFE) files. Bear-in-mind, AC&YHS is a Volunteer Group. Members have expressed a willingness to help organize the Archive. I would believe that will happen this Fall (2012) as we are ahead of plan with our News publication, etc.

With respect to Brittain yard, there are many files containing structure and track arrangement drawings dating to 1920. Some drawings have been scanned with the idea to post online. We likely will also offer broader collections as a DVDs. I've attached one general file which might help understand the east end yard ladder arrangement at Brittain. There are other drawings with substantially more detail. These are extremely large (blueprint) documents, too large to post online. Let us know if this helps. Of course, we would like to know more about your AC&Y layout plan and hope you will continue posts. Bob Lucas
Attachments
Brittain Yard.jpg
General arrangement of Brittain Yard circa 1979
Brittain Yard.jpg (167.19 KiB) Viewed 6292 times

pslota

Postby pslota » Sun May 27, 2012 4:25 pm

Luke (Bob) thank you for that map. It helps me tremendously. A little selective compression may have to come in to play for my space but I should be able to adhere to the general plan.

Next, if possible, any information of the comings and goings of the yard circa 1950-1955 would be greatly appreciated.
Additionally, and LDE's of the cities I have mentioned that I wish to include on the layout...Copley, Spencer, Hiles, New London, Carey and delphos...although I think I can do a decent job of Delphos from the Model Railroader magazine article and Google maps.

I may have to plan a few day trip to Akron in order to access the archives to help you in the sorting and cataloging, as well as to do some research for myself.

And I plan on keeeping you updated as I progress on the model rail road.

RRFoose

Postby RRFoose » Mon May 09, 2016 4:04 am

Gents,

Any chance I could get a higher resolution copy of either of those Brittain yard schematics? Particularly the 1979 copy that Bob has shared. Thanks!

Chase

Luke
Forum Moderator

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:42 pm

Pslota,
Two years ago the Society donated our vast collection of AC&Y Archive records to the University of Akron (Archive). While the collection is not yet catalogued, there are "finding aids" which will help in your search for specific information such as track arrangement blueprints. If you can't make it to the UofA Archive, suggest posting specific information requests on the online Forum. Many topics including profiles of towns served by the AC&Y were covered in the Society magazine. Starting in 1993, roughly ninety issues of the Society "News" magazine have been published to date. We will continue to produce a high-quality bi-annual online digital version. Earlier printed back issues are occasionally listed for sale on EBay. Also, several individuals hold large personal AC&Y-A&BB collections including photos and slides. Lastly, a MorningSun book covering the AC&Y and A&BB in color was released last year which might provide some useful information you seek. REL

Return to “AC&Y Railroad Historical Society”